I welcome NHS Lanarkshire’s decision to hold a local meeting as part of the consultation on NHS Lanarkshire’s healthcare strategy “Achieving Excellence”. I appreciate that they have listened to concerns that I raised regarding the ability of people to travel from Cumbernauld & Kilsyth to Wishaw, East Kilbride and Airdrie for the previously scheduled meetings that they announced in September.
I’m glad that in view of the concerns outlined above they have now confirmed this new meeting for Monday 24th October at Cumbernauld New Town Hall (Beechwood Suite). The meeting is from 6.30pm with refreshments available. The formal part of the meeting will start at 6.50pm and end at 8.30pm.
The meeting will include an introductory presentation, small group discussions, and a question and answer session.
The proposals in “Achieving Excellence” are aimed at helping people live longer, healthier lives. The strategy sets out a number of proposals including:
• Plans for a £400m project to replace or fully refurbish Monklands Hospital
• the delivery of high quality specialist services in centres of excellence
• Increased use of technology to help patients manage their own conditions
• the development of more community services
• a long-term model for the provision of trauma and orthopaedic surgery in Lanarkshire.